Geoff Pymar
Page updated 28-Dec-2010
Geoff Pymar
Geoffrey Pymar was born on 14 February 1912 at Eye in Suffolk, England. He started his speedway career with the Norwich Stars, a non-league outfit. In 1933 the quietly spoken, rather shy young lad joined the Wimbledon Dons, where he remained until the outbreak of World War II. In 1938 he was part of the Wimbledon team that won the National Trophy. That same year he competed in the World Championship Final at Wembley Stadium. From 1937 to 1939 Pymar regularly represented England in Test Matches, and twice toured Australia with England (1934/5 & 38/39)

After the war he joined New Cross Rangers and in 1948 was a member of their National League Championship winning team. In 1949 he joined the Harringay Racers for a fee of over £1,200. The following season the newly promoted Bristol Bulldogs paid the Racers £1,000 for his services.

Geoff (kneeling) with the
1935 Wimbldon team.

Pymar stayed with the Bulldogs until they closed in 1955 when he was expected to retire. However, he joined the Norwich Stars and rode with them for two further seasons. He didn't ride for the next couple of years, but in 1960 he was signed by the Yarmouth Bloaters in the newly formed Provincial League. They lasted just one season, but then Pymar was approached by the Middlesbrough Bears. After starting the season riding for the Bears, the travelling became too much and he transferred to the Wolverhampton Wolves. He had one final season with the Bradford Panthers in 1962 before finally hanging up his leathers. However, he returned to the sport as co-promoter of Exeter, alongside Cyril Rogers, in 1957/58.

He was a great admirer of Nobby Clark, Wimbledon 's trainer, and he adopted a lot of Nobby's recommendations, following them to the end of his days. Nobby's advice must certainly have worked, as he was still racing up to his 50s and lived to the great age of 90. At 72 he married his 19 year old bride and had two children. In his 80s he was caddying for Tony Jacklin and giving Nick Faldo putting lessons. He would ride his pushbike to the local golf course at Diss, play two rounds of golf (off a handicap of 15), then cycle back home.

On 27 February 2002, though unwell, he was very proud to be sworn in as President of the Veteran Speedway Riders Association. [Click here for pictures: about two thirds down the page]. Geoff Pymar died on 2 March 2002.